I’m a food blogger. It’s February. This is my obligatory Valentines dessert post.
Dark Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes with a very special frosting.
Rich and decadent. You’d never know these are vegan and pretty darn healthy, for a dessert that it.
Dairy-free + egg-free. Almond + spelt four.
I don’t like super sweet desserts. You know, the ones that put you into a sugar coma. These dark chocolate vegan cupcakes are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and finish with just the perfect amount of sweetness. Especially when you top them with my beet and cashew frosting.
That’s right. I made frosting with beets. Don’t be scared. It doesn’t taste much like beets. It’s super tasty, not to mention an absolutely stunning color. Perfect for V-day. Natural food coloring is where it’s at people. I tested this beet frosting out on a 3-year-old and he loved it. Kid tested, mother approved.
My favorite part about these cupcakes is how low in oil they are. Only 1 tablespoon TOTAL. I try to use as little oil as possible in every thing I cook. It’s just empty calories my friends. Yes, some oils are definitely better than others. Oil is NEVER a health food though. I replaced most of the oil with unsweetened applesauce. Less calories, less fat and the cupcakes are still incredibly moist. ( i hate that word, I can’t believe i just said that )
- I used a mixture of almond and spelt flour. You can just use all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour as well, if you don’t have spelt flour
- I prefer spelt flour for its slightly nutty flavor. It is sweeter and lighter than whole wheat flour and produces a moister crumb in baked goods
- If you aren’t trying to avoid oil, just replace applesauce with melted coconut oil
- If you aren’t into beet frosting, these cupcakes are good enough without frosting OR just use your choice of frosting, store-bought or homemade
- 1¼ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 TBS ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup plus 3 TBS
- 1 TBS liquid coconut oil*
- 3 TBS unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beet Frosting
- 1 small roasted beet
- ½ cup cashews
- 4 TBS maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Place cupcake liners in a 12 cup muffin pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt . Be sure to remove any almond flour lumps
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside
- Add the maple syrup, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and almond milk mixture to the dry ingredients
- Gently stir the batter until all the dry ingredients are absorbed, do not overmix
- Portion the batter into the muffin cups, about ⅓ cup per muffin
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Let the cupcakes cool completely
- While cupcakes are baking make the frosting
- Blend the roasted beet, cashews, maple syrup, almond milk, and salt until smooth and creamy
- Spread the beet frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes
- If desired, shave chocolate on top of each cupcake with a chocolate chip or portion of a chocolate bar ( i used a microplane, a fine box grater would work as well )