Butternut Squash White Bean Tostadas with Roasted Tomatoes.
Is it too late in the season for butternut squash things?
I don’t think so. As long as there are still beautiful squash to be found at my grocery store, I’m gonna keep making all things butternut squash.
Have you tried butternut squash with tomatoes before? Such a great combination, so underused.
These butternut squash white bean tostadas are my kinda meal. Healthy, and still so satisfying. The kind of meal where you feel like you’re cheating. But you so aren’t.
For the tostadas, I simply bake plain corn tortillas. Perfectly crispy, with no oil. Careful though, they are easy to burn. Keep an eye on em.
White beans are seasoned with salsa verde. Simple preparation, full of flavor. Perfectly roasted butternut squash complements juicy, roasted tomatoes. You get some healthy plant protein along with your veggies.
Topped off with The Easiest Creamy Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce.
The sauce is really what makes these tostadas something special. This rich and creamy cashew sauce is so easy to make and oh so tasty. I usually whip up this recipe once a week just to have on hand for whenever I may need it. Because everything is better with a delicious sauce smothered on top.
This recipe does require a few steps. For a quick week night meal, you can prepare most things ahead and simply assemble the tostadas when ready to eat and just bake until warm
- bake tortillas
- season beans with salsa verde
- roast squash/tomatoes
- prepare sauce
- bake corn tortillas until just starting to brown, they continue to crisp up as they cool
- replace butternut squash with roasted sweet potatoes if desired
- buy pre-roasted tomatoes or roast your own cherry or roma tomatoes
- find roasted tomatoes in olive bar station at grocery stores (Fresh Thyme+Whole Foods)
I hope you’ll try these butternut squash tostadas before all the squash are gone! I think you’ll agree that butternut squash and tomatoes are just perfect for one another. As always, leave a comment or tag your creation on Instagram @thefoodienurse
More healthy tostada recipes
- 4 large corn tortillas
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and diced into small cubes
- 1 tsp coconut or sesame oil
- pinch sea salt
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- ½ cup roasted, sliced tomatoes (I buy mine pre-roasted from olive bar at grocery store)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 12 oz salsa verde
- ½ cup cashews
- water, to thin out sauce
- Bake corn tortillas directly on oven rack at 375 for 8-10 minutes until starting to brown
- Increase oven temp to 400 degrees. Place squash on parchment paper lined baking dish and drizzle with 1 tsp coconut or sesame oil and a pinch of sea salt
- Roast squash for 35-40 minutes. Squash should be tender, not mushy, and have a nice brown sear on some of the edges. Reserve any remaining squash for another use
- Roast tomatoes, if not using pre roasted tomatoes, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until soft and juicy
- Combine beans with salsa verde and mash slightly so some texture of beans still remain
- Spread beans onto each tortilla, top with squash and tomatoes
- Place each assembled tortilla on baking sheet at 375 degrees
- Bake for 8 minutes until toppings are warmed through
- Top with desired amount of cheese sauce and garnish with green onions
- Reserve any extra cheese sauce in covered container in fridge for 7-10 days