I was inspired to make this Chai Spiced Granola by Andrea, farmer and foodie blogger, over at Dishing up the Dirt. Her beautiful and simple plant based recipes use the very ingredients she grows on her farm. Talk about eating local!! She made a Winter Squash Morning Bowl and I though Chai Spiced Granola would be the perfect addition. Her morning bowl has roasted butternut squash, granola and yogurt. I thought this was such a genius idea for breakfast. I love sweet potato hash for breakfast but I never thought to try squash in the morning. I’m a big fan of the savory breakfast and the squash adds a little savory element to your typical granola and yogurt. The chai flavor goes great with the roasted and spiced squash.
My hope for this granola was that it would taste like a cup of chai tea. Warm and cozy. I think I accomplished that. Ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg flavor this fragrant granola. The lovely chai aroma will float through your kitchen while baking. I added pistachios for some more flavor and texture, but feel free to omit or use another nut.
If you keep up with my blog you know I like to make oil free granola. Saving the calories from the oil just means I can eat more granola!! My secret for oil free granola is applesauce. It moistens the mixture without all the fat and empty calories of oil. I mention this in the recipe, but don’t let the initial texture of the granola scare you off. When it comes out of the oven you MUST let it set for a little to crisp up. It will seem kinda soft at first. As it cools it becomes crispy and crunchy!
Check out my other oil free granola recipes
I hope you enjoy this Chai Spiced Granola. Eat it on the go for a snack or in the morning with some yogurt or almond milk. Or try it with Andrea’s Winter Squash Morning Bowl
And remember, you can eat more because it’s oil free, which means less calories!!
Eat yourself healthy
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 TBS freshly grated ginger OR sub 2 tsp ground ginger *
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg *
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl until oats and nuts are coated
- Arrange on a large baking sheet and spread into an even layer, pressing down with back of spoon
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and stir/toss the granola, bake for 20-25 more minutes stirring every 5 min or so
- Watch carefully as granola can easily burn. It is done when golden brown and very fragrant
- IMPORTANT Let cool for 15-20 minutes to allow it to crisp up. It may seem soft at first but the granola will crisp up more as it cools. This is due to being oil free
Pre ground nutmeg has no comparison in flavor. Grate whole nutmeg with microplane