Turmeric is all the rage these days. A major foodie ingredient and huge food trend.
You can’t scroll through Instagram without seeing some version of golden turmeric milk or juice concoction. All the hype is well deserved though.
I have definitely jumped on the turmeric train. I’ve been using it a lot lately and incorporate it into as many dishes as I can.
Perfect addition to cozy veggie soups and curries.
It makes a wonderful bedtime tea.
Golden Milk really is something special.
It’s also a great spice simply to sprinkle on roasted veggies with some salt and pepper. So what’s all the hype about ?
- used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb
- what gives curry its yellow color
- contains compounds with medicinal properties such as Curcumin
- powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
- helpful to consume black pepper with turmeric, which enhances the absorption of Curcumin
This sauce though. It’s just so damn good.
Creamy, tangy, and vibrant. With a little cracked black pepper for the perfect finish.
I also can’t get enough of the color. So lovely and bright.
The key to this sauce is the yogurt.
I only use Kite Hill Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk yogurt or their new plain greek yogurt. It’s hands down the best vegan yogurt out there and is so much like the real thing. I never knew how much I missed yogurt until I tried it. If you don’t have Kite Hill, or aren’t vegan, free free to substitute your favorite brand of plain yogurt. This is literally one of my most favorite sauces I’ve ever made, and that’s saying a lot. This was the first time I ever made it and lets just say it will now be a staple in my weekly prep.
So far, I have smothered roasted potatoes and cauliflower with it. It’s great with crispy tofu and broccoli. It would also be delicious as a coleslaw or salad dressing.
I beg you to make this. You’re welcome.
If you try this turmeric sauce please leave a comment below and let me know what you served it with! Tag your creations on Instagram @thefoodienurse #thefoodienurse
- ½ cup yogurt; I use Kite Hill Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk Yogurt, best vegan yogurt EVER
- 2 tsp peeled and grated turmeric root *
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric powder
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp honey, or sweetener of your choice
- Place all ingredients in blender and combine until smooth and creamy