There’s no shortage of golden turmeric drinks out there in the foodie blogosphere. I’m aware this golden milk idea isn’t original. Turmeric is all the rage these days. I had a golden milk gasm the other day though and I just had to share my thoughts on this popular drink with my recipe.
I was strolling around Whole Foods after a pretty intense workout and I tried a golden coconut milk brand they had. I was blown away. Like I said, golden milk gasm people. So gooooood. Rich and creamy. It just made me feel good. Energized, refreshed. I’ve had golden turmeric milk before, but this was just the best ever. It wasn’t cheap though, so I knew I needed to make my own.
My new thoughts on golden milk drinks
- theres a place in my world for both chilled and hot golden milk drinks
- while any milk will do, coconut milk is best with turmeric
- always add cardamom
- sweeten with dates
I’ve really only seen hot turmeric latte type drinks before, which are good. After trying cold golden milk though, that’s all i’ve been wanting. So creamy and refreshing. I’m hooked. It IS cold and dark here now in STL. I def see myself getting cozy before bed with a hot golden milk AND making myself a warm golden drink for those chilly morning drives to work.
In my opinion, you just gotta do coconut milk for the perfect golden drink. I guess any milk will do, dairy-free or not (if you’re into dairy). I just love the flavor of coconut with turmeric.
Cardamom. A delicious spice. It just goes with the flavors of turmeric, ginger, and coconut. Brings it all together, elevates the flavor. Crucial for the perfect golden milk.
Dates are a natural sweetener that give a beautiful texture and creaminess to this golden milk. If you don’t have dates, feel free to use honey or your favorite sweetener.
Turmeric is good for you, as I’m sure you’ve heard.
- used in India for thousands of years as a medicinal herb
- spice that gives curry its yellow color
- contains curcumin which is anti-inflammatory/antioxidant
- black pepper helps to enhance the absorption of curcumin
The benefits of turmeric go on and on. Is drinking a golden milk gonna change you life and make you instantly healthy? No. It IS a great spice to incorporate into your diet whenever you can. I use it often in soups and curries.
Need turmeric ideas? Check out this recipe for my Golden Turmeric Vegan Yogurt Sauce It’s great drizzled on roasted cauliflower and broccoli OR on a tofu stir-fry.
Never used fresh turmeric or ginger root? I got tips.
- use the back of a spoon to easily peel off the skin (see pic below)
- use a microplane or finest holes of a box grater to easily mince
- store any extra ginger/turmeric covered in freezer for future use
*frozen ginger/turmeric grate very easily with microplane
I hope you’ll give this Vegan Turmeric Golden Milk a try. It’s vibrant, tasty and comforting. Turmeric. You need it in your life.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger root OR ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric root OR ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup boiling water *Optional for hot drink
- Place all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into desired mug or container
- Straining helps to achieve a decadent, creamy texture
- For a hot latte type drink, add boiling water to drink
- For a refreshing, chilled golden drink, store in fridge in a covered glass jar
*If your dates are dried out or if you don't have a powerful blender you can soak dates in boiling hot water for 5-10 minutes for easier blending
*I prefer 1 date, if you prefer a sweeter drink use 2
*See blog post for tips on using fresh ginger and turmeric roots