Strawberry season came and went, way to quickly. Now it’s on to blackberries. Another short season to take full advantage of.
Eckert’s Farm and Country Store has been my only source of seasonal fruit this season. I spent a recent afternoon picking baskets of strawberries and weeks making all things strawberry.
There is just no denying the quality of fresh picked produce. I’m begging you to boycott buying seasonal fruit from your local grocery store. Go to your nearest Eckert’s type store if you’re not in the STL area. Or head to the farmers market in your town. The flavor in fresh picked produce. YOU JUST CAN’T beat it.
When I went to Eckert’s to pick out my blackberries, I was struck with the inspiration to make something with lemon and blackberries. They really pair quite nicely together.
This Smashed Blackberry- Lemon Parfait with Graham Cracker Crumbs really hits the spot. A perfect summer dessert. Light and satisfying. Simple and delicious. I found a delicious vegan lemon yogurt at Whole Foods. If you’re not vegan feel free to use whatever lemon yogurt you can find. Smash your blackberries with a little sugar and salt until you have a thick sauce. I don’t usually use processed food but I knew this dessert needed a little crunch so I found the healthiest graham crackers I could at Whole Foods. They use whole wheat flower and not so terrible for you ingredients. Use whatever graham crackers make you happy, or some sort of cookie would be good too in this recipe.
I hope you’ll try this parfait. If not, make some sort of blackberry and lemon tasty treat while the fresh blackberries are still around !
Eat yourself healthy,
- 1 cup lemon flavored yogurt of your preference
- *I used Forager vegan cashew milk yogurt
- 6 ounces blackberries
- 18 Honey Graham Sticks OR equivalent amount graham crackers of your choice
- * I used whole grain Back to Nature Honey Graham Sticks
- 1 tsp coconut sugar OR sugar/sweetener of your choice
- pinch sea salt
- Reserve 4 blackberries
- Take remaining blackberries and place in bowl, add sugar and salt
- Using a fork, smash blackberries with sugar and salt into a thick sauce with no large berry chunks
- Layer parfaits into 2 separate dishes
- graham sticks, crushed slightly with fork
- Top with ¼ cup yogurt
- Top and spread 1 heaping tablespoon blackberry sauce, swirl into yogurt
- Top with another ¼ cup yogurt
- Swirl 1 heaping TBS blackberry sauce into yogurt layer
- Crush 3 graham sticks over each dish
- Top with remaining blackberries