Ok, I promise this will be my last post about my Chai Granola. You may or may not have noticed this will be my third straight post about this yummy home made granola.
First I made you the granola Oil Free Chai Spiced Granola with Pistachios
Then I made you Chocolate Roasted Pears with Yogurt and Chai Granola
Now I give you this Roasted Sweet Potato + Chai Granola Hippie Breakfast Bowl.
This recipe was inspired by blogger and farmer Andrea over at Dishing up the Dirt. I saw her post on these lovely Winter Squash Morning Bowls and I just had to give them a try. She roasted butternut squash and served it for breakfast with yogurt and granola. I just love, love, love the idea of squash for breakfast. I live for savory breakfast, and this idea straddles the savory breakfast fence for sure. I know butternut squash is slightly sweet, but it’s definitely more savory than your typical fruit and yogurt breakfast.
It’s not squash season so I took her idea and used sweet potatoes instead. I eat sweet potatoes a lot for breakfast. Usually in hash form with leafy greens and tempeh or black beans. This bowl is a nice change from my typical hash. I spiced and roasted some sweet potatoes with a little maple syrup and added them to my Chai Spiced Granola along with the best darn vegan yogurt on the planet.
I’m talking bout Kite Hill plain and unsweetened Almond Milk Yogurt. I didn’t know I missed yogurt until I tried this brand. It is so much like the real thing. Better if ya ask me. The texture is amazing; thick and creamy. It’s perfectly tangy and delicious. They recently came out with the unsweetened version which is a absolute game changer for me. It’s become a staple for me in smoothies, sauces, and so on….. Added bonus for all you people worried about your protein, it has like 5 grams per serving.
I hope you’ll give my Granola Hippie Breakfast Bowl a try. I think sweet potato for breakfast just may become your new jam. Or check out Andrea’s Winter Squash Morning Bowls. Either way, try a bowl for breakfast! Tag your creations @thefoodienurse on Instagram
Eat yourself healthy
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into even cubes
- 1 TBS melted coconut oil * Optional
- ½ TBS maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup Chai Spiced Granola
- 10 oz plain unsweetened yogurt , I prefer Kite Hill Almond Milk Yogurt
- Make Chai Spiced Granola *Preferably ahead of time, up to several days
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes
- Toss potatoes with optional oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl
- Spread potatoes onto parchment paper or foil lined baking sheet
- Bake 25-30 minutes until tender and easily pierced through with a knife
- Evenly divide potatoes and place atop about 5 oz of yogurt in 2 separate bowls
- Top each bowl with ½ cup granola
- Grab a spoon and perhaps a mug of hot Chai tea
This recipe will obviously come together much quicker if you make the granola ahead of time. Make up to several days ahead and store in a sealed container. This recipe will leave you with extra granola
Feel free to use your favorite spices for the sweet potatoes. I stuck with cinnamon and ginger, but cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, or allspice would all be delicious here