I’ve never had strawberries in a cookie before. Now I have. Let me just tell you how amazing they are. Vegan chocolate cookies with peanut butter. Yummy enough on their own. Add sliced strawberries and you get little bites of berrylicious juiciness with your cookie. So amazing. Think peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in a cookie. Enough said.
I was lucky enough to get a bunch of strawberries from Eckert’s this week. I mean a bunch. I had to find a way to use them all. These aren’t your typical berries either. There is something about homegrown, local berries. The little box you buy from the grocery store is just not worth it people. Sorry, but it’s true. They are from California, or Mexico, or who knows really. The flavor of these berries are just not comparable to fresh picked local berries. I have to make the most of berry season. I will be getting all my strawberries freshly picked. Go to Eckerts, go to the farmers market. Just don’t buy them from the store.
Eckert’s farm and country store is the cutest little place in East Belleville. I actually grew up two minutes from them. I remember riding my bike there with my neighborhood friends to get custard! Their apple trees were basically in my backyard. They have apple and peach trees, strawberries, pumpkin patches and so much more. They have a restaurant and a quaint little country grocery store. Such a fun place to spend the day with your family.
I had so many berries I wanted to come up with some not so typical strawberry recipes. I made sorbet, I made strawberry basil sauce, I made a tart. I made many more things I will be posting about soon. These strawberry cookies are the best though. I urge you to make them and tell me what you think. My roommate was lucky enough to try them and said “They are perfect.” I tend to agree.
They are vegan, gluten free and are not full of sugar. They do have more oil than I usually like to cook with, but applesauce replaces a lot of the fat and calories in your typical cookies. The coconut oil makes these cookies delicious, as opposed to just ok.
I hope you will try these cookies. If not, at least go to Eckert’s, or your local farm stand and enjoy some of their amazing strawberries while the season lasts. If you do make them, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @thefoodienurse.
Eat Yourself Healthy
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 TBS ground flax seed mixed with 4 TBS water
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar or cane sugar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup halved strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine ground flax with water, stir to combine and let set for about 5 minutes
- Combine oats, almond flour, baking powder, soda and salt in large mixing bowl
- Add flax mixture, peanut butter, applesauce, sugar, and oil to dry ingredients and stir to combine
- Add chocolate chips and strawberries and mix in evenly
- Place cookies by the spoonful onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet
- Bake 20 minutes or until cookies are starting to brown
- Enjoy with a cold glass of almond milk