Vegan Summer Street Corn. Inspired by local, freshly picked sweet corn.
Earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to attend a magical dinner served in an orchard with a view of a vineyard. NBD. Dreams people, dreams.
Eckert’s Farms hosted a pop up dinner prepared by local blogger Julia, of My Lavender Blues. Local bloggers, chefs, and foodies were treated to a night of delicious food with a view thanks to Chris and Angie Eckert, owners of Eckerts.
All summer long I’ve been enjoying Eckert’s produce. Fresh and local. There ain’t nothing better.
Plump and juicy blackberries.
The most flavorful strawberries you’ve ever had.
Peaches. So, so juicy.
Then there’s Eckert’s sweet corn.
The previously mentioned evening began with a wagon ride through the farm to the orchard. We made a stop along the way in the cornfield where we all got to pick and taste fresh sweet corn. There really are no words for just how delicious this corn was. There’s a reason for the fresh and local food movement. It’s because once you’ve tasted food straight from the dirt, there’s just no other way to eat it. Corn is meant to be enjoyed for a month or so. Until next year.
This recipe was inspired by the magical ‘Dinner in the Orchard’ at Eckert’s.
I wanted to highlight just how tasty fresh summer sweet corn can be.
Simply grilled and brushed with a vegan chipotle mayo.
Healthier than your typical street corn, with all the flavor.
A big thanks to Eckerts for letting me be a part of this evening and Julia for a delicious meal. Your corn soup and beet hummus was spot on.
There’s still a little time to enjoy the end of summer sweet corn. Hurry people, hurry.
- 4-6 ears of fresh corn
- pinch of paprika, optional
- chives, sliced for garnish
- Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp chipotle sauce from can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- ½ vegan mayo
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Combine the lime juice, garlic, chipotle sauce, mayo and salt and stir until smooth and creamy
- Set aside. Can prepare ahead of time and store covered in fridge
- Preheat the grill (or use indoor grill pan or heat directly over gas oven flames)
- Pull back husks and remove the silks
- Grill for about 8 minutes, rotating until char marks form on all sides
- Remove from grill and brush with chipotle mayo, using 1-2 TBS mayo per ear of corn
- Sprinkle with paprika and chives